Friday, October 2, 2009

Sharing photos of a trip

I tagged along on this road trip to NYC, and wanted to share the scenes with you.

Actually, I found the photos at a secondhand shop. Looking at them took me back in time. I wish I knew more about these snapshots; who took them, the exact year they were taken, and whether this was a business or pleasure trip.



It looks like late winter, perhaps February. There is no snow or leaves left on the ground, and the trees have not yet started to bud. I’m guessing that the car from CT is the one they drove into the city.

There are a few photos of the Empire State building, being the tallest building in the world at that time. I especially liked the ones where this building is in the background of a bridge. Is that the Brooklyn Bridge?

There are a few photos with the UN building and flags. I’m not sure it still looks the same. Have they put protective barricades in front of the building?

Looking at the people and the cars is interesting, but what is most dear to me is the photo of the stellar building standing tall above the others. It brings back memories.

In the 1970’s, Budweiser and Dr Pepper sponsored summer concerts at Wolman Rink in Central Park. For a reasonable ticket, maybe five dollars or so, we would get seats back in the bleachers. It was a small arena so the seats weren’t bad. We would drive in to the city after work and leave the car at one of the garages, then walk to Wolman Rink.

Tickets to the best performers went fast, but we were able to attend concerts that have stayed with me all these years; among them were Harry Chapin, Judy Collins, Barry Manilow, and Peter, Paul, and Mary. Bless her and may she rest in peace, during the intro Mary Travers stated that she lived a block for the park and had walked to work that evening.

Sitting in the warmth of the setting sun, we would see the beautiful and stately apartment buildings and hotels surrounding the park. Millions of people have lived in these over the years and looked out over the trees and lakes in the center of New York City, watching the seasons change.


I had planned on scanning in these photos for posting, but my computer couldn't open the scans this time. They will be posted for better viewing in the near future.


1 comment:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Hey - that's kinda neat that we both posted black & whites this time. Yours - vintage! Mine - just kinda look that way :) Black & White just makes me think of different times...not necessarily less difficult - but somehow less complicated.