Saturday, January 17, 2015

dusting off


Serendipity.
From Google: the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.......happy coincidence
Sometimes it takes several events to create that happy coincidence.

I held on to my original sewing patterns until I was in my thirties or so, rationalizing that the fashion industry would never again embrace the feelings and concepts of the sixties and seventies.  My Aha! moment occurred about ten years ago when I realized that it was not the fashion industry, but myself, who would embrace those feelings/concepts again.  Either I've reached that stage in life where "anything goes" or I've matured enough to confidently be who I am.

So, for the past 5 years or so I've been trying to collect the patterns I sewed back when I was a teenager/young adult.  I have been fortunate, finding the most important of them even if they may not be the correct size.  I even found the pattern I used for my wedding dress.  And I just bought one of my favorites on Etsy, a slacks and skirt pattern that I had almost given up on.  Others have been purchased for mere pennies in thrift shops.  As of today there are only a few that still elude me.  I may or may not reproduce the clothing from some of these patterns, but just holding them brings back memories the way aromas (perfume, salt-sea breeze, spices) create familiar visions in our minds.

So serendipity stepped in this week when I found the 2015 Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge hosted by Kelly of Kestrel Makes and Marie of A Stitching Odessy.  I've pledged to make at least 4 articles of clothing from my "private" collection.  (I have almost 200 vintage patterns from several eras, but those will most likely not be used for this challenge.)  Knit or crochet items may also be created from vintage instructions to accessorize my wardrobe, as I see others have done this in last year's challenge.

I've chosen a few that definitely made the cut and will be posting soon.  In the meantime, here are a few "refashions" I made using vintage patterns in the Self-Stitched September 2010 hosted by So Zo:
Plaid vest from skirt
Weekend top from men's athletic shirt
Top for biking

I'll be sharing some of my "private" collection with some special photos in my next post.  Hope to see you then!


Peace

No comments: