Sunday, September 8, 2013

Burdock Root

I'm challenging myself to try new things (and some new old things.)  So while in northern VT last weekend, I was intrigued by a local, natural foods store that was selling burdock root.  I purchased two small roots to bring home (I always bring a small cooler and ice packs.)  Today was perfect for oven roasting them to go with my lunch.



 
 
 
They're covered with a "dirty" brownish skin.  When peeled, they are a pure white but very quickly they will start to discolor (like a potato.)  This photo shows them coated in olive oil.  Below are the peelings.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Out of the oven, slightly roasted.  They are very fibrous....much more than a parsnip.  I couldn't compare the taste to anything....they're very mildly earthy....not unpleasant.  They were a terrific companion for the beet greens and small piece of beef that was my lunch.
 
 



Would I have them again?  Yes.  I haven't seen them for sale around here, but I'm sure I can keep my eye out for some plants in my travels ;)

I hope you are enjoying a pleasant late summer Sunday.  Have fun, and maybe try something new!

2 comments:

Doniene said...

I love trying new "things", too!! I'll have to keep my eyes open for them!! Thanks for sharing!!

Blessings

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello Donienne,
I've been trying new things all summer, some interesting and some not. But you never know what you'll stumble upon! Let us know what you find :)
(As with everything else, always purchase from a reputable supplier.)