Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wild

It's always exciting to find another memoir written by a woman when I browse the books at secondhand stores.  I've been inspired and sometimes amazed by their stories.  I have read about hardships, struggles, introspection, and accomplishments that I couldn't imagine having to undertake.  Wild, From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed is one of these.  I found it just a few weeks ago and read it over the past few days.  It more than filled the expectations that I had after reading the intro on the dust cover.

Cheryl Strayed gives us enough personal history to understand why she decides to embark on the months long hike from the Mojave Desert to Washington State, having no experience as a hiker.  And while I would never choose such an undertaking, I can understand why it was important to her.  We walk with her as she breaks in her boots and struggles under the weight of all she carries.  Her writing style is smooth and easy to follow, and it kept me right on pace with her (mentally and emotionally) on the trail.




There are many reasons why she should have never undertaken the hike (inexperience, lack of planning, poor supplies), but her courage and determination made up for them.





I keep very few books and Wild will be one of them.  Ask for it at your library if you enjoy non fiction.  They may choose to get a copy for their stacks, in which case a lot more folks will be able to read it!  My copy is already on loan to a friend.  I hope she will be as impressed as I am.


Wishing you a day filled with great adventures!





(August Break, day 29: Your fave thing.  Women's memoirs hold a very high place on my list of favorites!)



The August Break 2013

No comments: