Friday, July 12, 2013

Free movies, changes, and community

I have to count my blessings when I see struggling for others.  Yes, I may grumble and even complain a bit, but I think I have a very good life.  I have been given many challenges by my Creator (or Fate, or the natural flow of things....take your choice), but I am doing okay.

We all have those contacts through work who we never meet...the voice on the other end of the phone.  Someone with whom we could be really good friends if they lived nearby instead of the other side of the country.  One of my "phone" friends has had a really tough year that started on the first week of January.  So far she had lost two very close family members, and today there was another.
My prayers are with her tonight, as she faces another week that will bring all these losses together and test her one more time.  From across the country, I'm hoping she feels this hug.

The day brought more bad news.  A friend from the office is no longer with the company.  It was unannounced, and most co-workers still do not know about it.  (I found out through happenstance.)  I will be calling with an offer as a reference, since I personally know of this fellow's strong work ethic.

One of my neighbors is on a fixed income (retired) and doesn't get out as much anymore, so I found a free movie night at a nearby church and drove us there.  The movie was good (a bit long, but good.)  But the interesting thing is that this church is looking for other ways of getting people together....possibly a games night, or a bingo night.  The church isn't my denomination but that really doesn't matter.  I think it's a great way to build community.  How great to get people OUT of their houses and talking to each other!  We're all connected, or at least....we should be!

I'm wishing you a wonderful weekend filled with friends and family and community  :)


.

4 comments:

Freda Fields Alley said...

You never know what Life will hand you each day... I'll pray for both your friends, each with their own life challenges.

I'm all for the type of community building that the church you posted about is attempting. I'd definitely be helping with that...

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello Freda,
Thank you for your kindness.

I'll be at the next movie night with offers to help get their game night started :)

Anthea said...

What a great post, reminding us all that we should try reaching out to others and being aware that they have challenges too.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello Anthea,
Very well said! Thank you.