Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chillin' on a HOT 4th :)

A phone call last night brought me to Pound Ridge, NY this morning for a leisurely brunch with friends.  The shady outdoor café provided relief from the rising temps. It was a perfect welcome to the 4th.

Pound Ridge is quite a distance for me to go for an egg and some toast, but the real reason for our journey was the annual antiques fair in town.  Every 4th of July vendors gather on this quiet street to sell some of their finest goods.  There were very vintage quilts in lovely condition and many vendors with jewelry, one with tools, several with books and paintings.  (I almost caved when I saw a wall-mount coffee grinder marked $38, and was tempted to make an offer.....but I'm sure they wouldn't take $25 so early in the day.)  I stopped twice at the stall with small tables and old school desks.  The pieces were in great condition, and an old wicker clothes hamper with wooden hinged lid was painted a lovely milky white and kept calling my name.....



 
 
 




My one purchase of the day was from the gentlemen who bring breads, cheeses and cured meats from Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.  A piece of tasty provolone will go nicely with salad for some easy suppers in this HOT weather.  These guys are at the Elephant's Trunk every Sunday, and it would be worth the trip for a loaf of their beautiful handmade bread.

Starting tomorrow, and running through Sunday, Pound Ridge holds an annual town wide tag sale.  If Sunday's weather co-operates, I may be back this way :)

Cooling off now, cookout later!  I hope you're having a safe and happy 4th!

.

No comments: