Thursday, June 20, 2013

The 2013 Garden

It all started with a single tomato plant......




Even though I was determined NOT to put any containers on my deck this summer, I just couldn't keep that resolution.  I "bent" my rule enough to allow some potted herbs (lemon balm, mint, dill, basil) and one small pot of zucchini.  I really don't want to have to worry about watering and caring for loads of pots like I did a few years ago!)

This morning I "harvested" 2 lovely flowers on the zucchini plants, stuffed them with goat cheese, and put them in the fridge.  All day I thought of them.....

While some leftovers were reheating I dipped the flowers in milk and flour, then fried them in a drizzle of oil.


 
 
 
They made a quick and tasty appetizer :)

 
 



In another year or two I will once again be working in my own garden, but for now a few pots on the deck sure do make life cozier!


.....and there's a small vase on my desk at work filled with basil, mint, and dill that smells heavenly!

Wishing you a wonderful Friday!

4 comments:

Anthea said...

The flowers look delicious, but I have never been adventurous enough to try them myself!
Good luck sticking with your small number of pots... x

Kelli said...

I have never heard of eating the flowers cooked like that but they look yummy!!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Anthea, Kelli,

It's one of my favorite things, like the first ripe tomato of summer :) They're mild and mostly you get the flavor of the filling or topping/sauce. I hope you try them sometime :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Maria said...

First, thanks for your condolences...much appreciated!

Second, I love squash flowers!!! LOVE!!!