Sunday, April 21, 2013

Old New England

There are still a few places in New England where you can almost "see" the past.  Passing through a small town you will find a building that remained useful and vibrant for a century or more.  On my road trip last week I travelled through one of these towns.  It was an agricultural town until recently.  Now the farmers have mostly passed on and the current residents either commute or have occupations where they can work from home.

In this particular town some of the structures built in it's early days still remain.  The railroad depot has been converted into a small grocery store and is in beautiful condition.  Across the street is the Blue Seed feed and grain store, which now enjoys a good life as a restaurant.

 
 
 
 
The library is quite striking, with it's tall steeple.  It has the appearance of a religious meetinghouse from years past.  And it looks like it has quite a bit of life ahead of it, having received the proper maintenance over the years.
 
 
 



Next to it is an old town cemetary.  Had I the time, I would have enjoyed walking through to read the headstones and pay my respect to the early settlers of this part of New England.




Just further down this road, past the iron bridge, is an ususual church.  Still being used today, it stands proudly at the crest of a small rise.




There's a 2-block area of commerce with service station, convenience store.  It's a town in which I could see myself living.  I'll be back later this spring to explore (including the artisnal bakery just down the street from the church.....)

5 comments:

Lisa Lynn said...

What beautiful buildings :) My family is from New England and I always love to visit when I can.

I'd love to have you share this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre-hop-12-soap-giveaway.html

Mary said...

Terrific photos, especially appropriate for a quiet Sunday afternoon.

MYstory of HIStory said...

Love old architecture....so much character. If walls could talk ..... : )

Maria said...

That looks like a lovely town!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi folks,
Thanks for the sweet words. It was wonderful to come upon this town unexpectedly!