Tuesday, April 23, 2013

odd bird

It is a rare Sunday morning that I have the opportunity to relax with a cup of coffee, no pressing errands ahead of me.  This past Sunday was one of those mornings....catching up on emails and planning my day.  Until I heard the "thunk".  Followed a few minutes later by another "thunk".  It turned out that there was a somewhat confused large red robin sitting on the railing of my deck.  He saw me through the glass door and flew off.


 
 
(Please excuse my verrrry dirty glass door!)
 



A few minutes later he was back, hitting the glass again and again.....and again.  I peeked around the doorway to the kitchen so he wouldn't notice me and watched as he sat on the railing and attacked the glass.  Fearing for his safety (and not wanting an injured bird on my conscience), I went out in my nightclothes and washed this winter's residue from the sliding door.  Could he have thought a speck of dirt was an insect?  Well, let's rule that out.  Satisfied that the dirt would no longer attract his attention, I poured a fresh cup of coffee.

Yeah, right, I'll get to enjoy that....he came back!  When he saw me he proceeded to attack my neighbor's door!  I heard her chase him, too, so we chatted and she told me he had been doing this to her door on Saturday!  I made a quick call to relatives and was advised to hang something "flutter-y" in front of the door to chase him.

So now there are two aluminum foil "icicles" blowing in the breeze on my back deck, hanging from the joists of the deck above.  It's a windy morning so they should work!  They may look like a crude lawn ornaments but I know what they really are   ;)


Updated: My neighbor informed me that he came back on Monday morning while I was at work, but he didn't stay for long.  Does anyone know why he's doing this?  Any advice on how to stop him before he gets hurt?????

3 comments:

Anthea said...

Odd, indeed! What a little character... I've never heard of such behaviour before, usually if a bird 'brains' itself on a window, it just sits stunned for a minute then staggers away... maybe he thinks he's in combat with another bird?

Anonymous said...

More than likely he is seeing himself in the glass and thinking there is a rival. :-)

-Alyse

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends,
Since I have been at work during the day this week, I don't know if this is still happening....but I hope not! Poor thing must be exhausted, and sore.
I think you're both right that he's fighting another robin, alpha male and all that.