Friday, February 22, 2013

It's the little things that count

Four days out of six my mailbox is empty.  I only get a few actual printed bills and some junk mail.  I pay most of my bills online, but the condo association fees are paid with an old-fashioned check.  The junk mail is from local vendors (pizza joints, dentists, etc) and it's hard to get rid of those.  But I suppose it's time to sign up for the junk mail cancellation again to see if it clears up a bit more.

So today I was surprised and thrilled to get a card from a friend up north.  An honest-to-goodness handwritten note.  A real "someone took the time to write out what they wanted to tell you" kind of note.  Words from friends are valued so much more when inked onto paper and posted in the mail than those that are tapped onto a keyboard (ironically, I'm telling you this by tapping!)

I thought of my teen years when I had a penpal in Ireland and how we'd gush over movie stars via our letters.  We both loved the fashions of the times and sent our "best" photos.  The thought and time that went into each handwritten letter gave it something of ourselves.



 
Today's mail
 
I'm thinking that this weekend would be a good time to sit down and write a letter....by hand, of course.  Maybe to someone I haven't emailed in a while ;)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

That's a cool idea! I always love getting letters, but because I don't write them, I rarely get them. I should, though. I have two older bachelor uncles who aren't on the Internet. I should write them a letter ; ).

Anthea said...

My cousin & I still write letters & postcards to each other - in spite of talking at least once a month. What a shame that personal mail like that has died out... enjoy your writing