Sunday, January 6, 2013

Food experiments

I've started this new year off right by experimenting in the kitchen again and I'm darned pleased with the results.  After being in a bit of a food rut...same old, same old...it was time to try some new things.

First I started making my morning green smoothies again, but I have stepped it up a bit by switching from spinach to kale.  It's a much stronger taste but I'm sticking with it and it's growing on me.

But I also tried a carrot cake smoothie....yum!  I won't link to any one recipe because I found so many of them.  (You can search carrot cake smoothie online)  Basically, you use approximately one-eighth cup of uncooked oatmeal, some carrots, milk, banana, and cinnamon.




I've seen variations that included protein powder or an egg but I'm enjoying it in the plain and simple stage.






A few times now, I've stumbled across Faith Middleton's radio show "Food Schmooz" while driving back from my mother's on Saturdays.  (You can hear the archives online here.)  Faith has some interesting guests and this week there was a great discussion that included a soup recipe made from  blending some roasted beets, apples, fresh ginger, and chicken stock.  I bought some beets and tossed this together, adding a tiny bit of lemon juice to the apples as they cooked. (I didn't realize that there wasn't any stock in the house so I just added a bit of milk for thinning)  This is a definite repeat-able recipe!  I loved it. 


 
 
 
 
Photos taken before thinning.  It's that beautiful purple beet color!

I'll be bringing it for lunch this week alongside a barley/kale/red onion salad.  And to go with it, there's a fresh loaf of beer bread coming out of the oven.

It's going to be a great Sunday....laundry's done, food prep is done, house is semi-clean, and tonight Downton Abbey returns!  I'll be at someone's house watching tv tonight.
* smile *

1 comment:

Impera_Magna said...

You're so good.... I'm getting ready to start "afresh" diet-wise today... making a pot o' veggie beef soup!