Saturday, December 29, 2012

Darling book, Gutsy Woman

Every once in a while I stumble upon something extra special at a secondhand store.  This week produced one of those special items.

As everyone was grabbing books from the new table that was brought out, I picked up this and put it under my arm while I looked for more.






I found another very small book, a Gregg shorthand dictionary from 1910.  A dear friend in northern Vermont used shorthand during her years as a secretary but she says she has forgotten it all.  So the little book has been wrapped and mailed to her.  It won't arrive until next year but I'm sure she will laugh when she sees it.

Anyway, after leaving the table with these two books in my hands, I decided to see what the first one was.  My heart nearly skipped a beat when I recognized the Campbell Soup Kids!






I've since done some research and found that Margaret Hays wrote children's books and her sister, Grace G Wiederseim did the illustrations.  She later created the chubby tots that I remember in the soup commercials....Mmmm, Mmmm, Good!  Even thought she was a prolific producer of these loveable characters and comic strips, she drew and painted beautiful portraits, few of which are known to exist because of the difference in style.  Some of the covers for the Saturday Evening Post show portraits she drew in the Gibson Girl style.






This link is for an excellent biography for Grace G. Wiederseim, showcasing her strength of character, fondness for high fashion, and independent spirit in the early part of the 20th century.

It's amazing, the things that cross our paths and what we can learn about the women who came before us!

.

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Great finds plus I love how they drew children so chubby, so healthy looking ... compared to today ;)
Hope 2013 is very kind to you, your bonus has made a wonderful start. stay positive & healthy, Hugs to You & Yours. x♥x