Thursday, November 22, 2012

Turkey and denim

I'm a guest at today's Thanksgiving feast at my brother and sister-in-law's house.  She is the most marvelous cook!  All I am bringing are some beverages, but I help with kitchen duty.  SIL found that we work well together in aprons, and we get things done easily.  My mother will again be given the honor of relaxing in the living room with everyone else until the food is on the table.  When I return home I expect to be full and happily tired.

I decided to cook a turkey this weekend and needed to buy it while it was still on sale.  Funny how 0.59 per pound turns into 1.59 per pound on the same exact bird overnight.  Those turkeys that didn't sell for the holiday suddenly become cost prohibitive.  Anyway, it will make a lovely pot pie, turkey sandwiches, soup, and more over the winter.  (And it will be shared, making it doubly tasty.)  But to get this bird, I had to venture out to the grocery store yesterday afternoon while everyone else was out there shopping for those forgotten items...fresh veggies, fruits, extra packages of stuffing, and beer.  My goodness, the store was crowded!




I am 14 squares short of the total needed to piece my denim quilt so I will venture to the thrift shop this weekend to buy a pair of jeans.  I am anxious to get started, but in the meantime I found the perfect homemade gift.....

I bought this book at a secondhand store last summer because of one project in it.




And I have all this wonderful wool that was given to me.




It's a perfect match.  I will post photos tomorrow!

In the meantime, have a wonderful day.  Happy Thanksgiving!