Saturday, November 17, 2012

scraps

I worked on this last night......





Cutting several pairs of freebie jeans and jean skirts into 8.5" squares that will become a disappearing nine patch jean quilt for one of my sons.  I made jean quilts for each of my three boys when they were children, each one designed differently.  I actually hand-quilted each one of them.  But this one will be machine quilted, sans batting, so that it will be used as a throw.




Getting prepared takes the most time (washing, pressing, cutting), so this was a great evening to tackle the tedious part.  I'll stitch these up over the next week and send it on it's way soon.

But this has me thinking......





What would you do with this bag of scraps???


Many thanks to Heidi and Bobbi for hosting Friday Night Sew In.  Follow this link to see what wonderful things were being crafted last night.


Peace,
Farmgal

7 comments:

HeartSounds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MYstory of HIStory said...

Oooops sorry - that comment that was deleted was from me...My daughter was signed in on PC so it showed up as her instead. Anyhow - was just sayin' that I'm a denim girl! And am looking forward to seeing this! :)

Sue McPeak said...

What a brave Gal you are...sewing denim. It does make great quilts for guys and I bet will be used alot! And besides, it's such a great way of repurposing. Speaking of which, I use ALL scraps...even denim...for stuffing dog beds/pillows. Some I donate to the animal shelter and others I make for family pets. My niece is an Animal Rescue Activist...she always needs scrap stuffed dog beds.

Maria said...

I'll have to come back and check how your denim quilt is going; it makes such lovely quilts :-)

FleurBleue said...

6Brilliant idea.

Please post a photograph when it's done. I hadn't thought of using old jeans.

Anthea said...

I'm curious about a denim quilt, but what a great idea though!
And perfect for a guy too...

Fiona said...

Great recycling project... I love seeing old jeans being turned into something new and your project is going to be lovely... jeans seams make great straps ... for bags/keyrings... things like that...
Hugz