Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday, and time to get back on track

I completely went off track this weekend, not accomplishing anything useful around here.  Laundry was not done and cleaning was a quick wipe and shuffle.  Instead, I decided to take a look-see around the thrift shops.  I've run out of old aprons, the ones that aren't useful as originally intended but still have some good fabric remaining, and I haven't found any for quite some time.  Sadly, this excursion faired no better on that front.  But I did find a few other treasures.




I remember owning a hardcover copy of this book back in the 70s, when we had a small woodstove installed in the cape-style house we owned.  Wood stoves were a "new" concept in southwestern CT back then so we had to do a lot of research on our own.  I got this copy for twentyfive cents ;)   Sunday evening was wasted enjoyed by browsing through the pages.  It is absolutely chock full of info, from how each style of stove works to installation and getting airflow through the house.  It's a keeper (and might be passed on to someone in the family who has started the home-buying quest.)




I did stand at the book bins for most of my visit, looking for the perfect book to use as a kindle cover.  It had to have a catchy title of great graphics, and it had to measure just so.  No such luck this trip but I did get one to use for practice.  I have watched Youtube videos and read countless online instructions for making cloth cases, but my intentions were to keep the original cover on this one and use some soft leather as the lining.





I've removed the pages and it looks like a good fit.  My options for attaching the leather interior and padding seem to be something like Gorilla Glue, and I've got to figure out the way to affix the elastic holders before the leather is glued in place.  Kinda like thinking backwards.




I lucked into a handful of these sweet older sewing patterns.  They were in a bin of books that was just put out for sale.  The guys were busy grabbing books and didn't mind that I was reaching for "old paper stuff".  I may hold onto one that  really caught my eye, but the rest will be checked for completeness and put into my etsy shop soon.

There was a bit more, but that can wait.  I want to get some stitching done tonight.  Hope you all had a great Monday!



Peace,
Farmgal

2 comments:

Sue McPeak said...

Oh Gal...you are a woman after my own heart. I'm sure we share not only a ThriftShopGene, ReDo-Gene, but a LuvOlPatterns-Gene, too. WHAT a great idea to make a Kindle Cover out of an old book...love that and I bet it would be a hit in your ETSY shop.

I'm always looking through Old Patterns everywhere I go Thriftin' and Junkin'. Love the ones from the 40's and 50's. I have a 1940's Apron pattern if you'd like to borrow it. I have a collection of Old Aprons as well...they will be shown on my 31 Days Challenge this month...watch for that, and thanks for visiting on Day#2.

I hope you found some GF recipes you can use. If you didn't see it, my Bread Flour Mix is the best and the bread is wonderful. Happy Tuesday....Sue

MYstory of HIStory said...

Whatta clever Kindle cover! Great idea!!