Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday - 9/27/12

I found a very heavy old album in a pile of treasures at a second hand outlet where everything is brought out in huge bins and folks grab whatever they can.  It turns into quite a scene and sometimes I stand back and watch the commotion.  But a few months back I was able to squeeze in between two people and snagged the album, not having a clue as to what it was.

I was surprised to find that it was the remains of someone's stamp collection, obviously having been picked through over the years.  But the ones that remain are beautiful.  I adore the drawings on older stamps.....the details in each scene!  I found this one fascinating and did some research on the internet.






The last Sunday in September (this coming Sunday) is designated as Gold Star Mothers day.  It honors mothers who have lost a son or daughter in combat.  It was custom for families to hang a flag in their window with a blue star for each family member in the service.  The blue star would be completely covered by a gold star when a military family member died.  Gold was chosen (instead of black) because it signifies honor for the fallen serviceperson.

In addition to their patriot duties and determination to promote peace and goodwill to the U.S. and all nations, the Gold Star Mothers assist veterans and their families present claims to the Veterans Administration and aid all who served.  There is some interesting reading here about Mrs. Grace Darling Siebold and how the group was formed.  I was fascinated by the articles I found about the Gold Star Mothers.  You never know what you'll find when out thrifting!

I hope you enjoyed this and will check this link to Vintage Thingies Thursday, where you'll find lots more interesting posts about vintage items.  Many thanks to the Colorado Lady for hosting this group!  And please stop for a moment this coming Sunday to remember the Gold Star Mothers.


Peace,
Farmgal

9 comments:

Coloradolady said...

How interesting about that stamp. I have never seen one like it!! Happy VTT!

Impera_Magna said...

I've noticed a few "blue star" banners in windows as I drive around... and dread to see a "gold star" someday... heart-breaking...

What a lovely stamp! The color is such a nice one...

Antiques And Teacups said...

That's why I love VTT...you always learn something new! Thanks for the great post...and visiting the Space Needle's birthday!
Ruth

Dora, the Quilter said...

I've always loved the artwork on stamps, but especially on old stamps.
When I was in high school I was asked to go sing at a banquet honoring Gold Star Mothers--most were from WWII. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

LV said...

I enjoy seeing the various stamps. I never started collecting any, but worlds of people do.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends,

Thank you for stopping by and your sweet words.

Have a wonderful Vintage Thingie Thursday!

jeanetteann said...

How nice to find something with a story. I firmly believe as an avid thrifter, that things find us,not the other way around.
Thank you for visiting me and for your nice comment. :)

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

You make me want to find my old stamp collection. Fun post!!!

Sue McPeak said...

Isn't it amazing the things you find that lead to the most interesting and special times in our history? A STAMP...love it!!! Thanks for sharing on VTT and for the link about Gold Star Mothers.

I'm so glad you visited CITexas Gal so I could return the favor. I'm a new Follower and I've added you to my Stitchin Friends. We sure have alot in common...Stitchin' Friend.

I look forward to future posts from The 4 Bushel Farm. Thanks for visiting CITexas Gal....Sue