Saturday, September 22, 2012

Progress

Even though we know what to expect it's always surprising when the evenings are cool enough that we need to close the windows, especially after a summer of consistent hot, humid weather.  Friday night was one of those nights.  Perfect for a dinner of good cheddar, crackers, and apple slices.  Followed by a few hours of hand quilting on my little baby quilt.



 
 
I decided to keep it simple.....quilting straight diagonal lines to emphasize the floating triangles.  I didn't have to mark the quilting lines because I used my old friend....masking tape.






I'm almost halfway through with the quilting and hope to have it completed by next Friday, binding and all!






I also hemmed a pair of black pants and took the lining and trim from a black leather jacket.  While up north last weekend, I found a jacket (for one dollar!) with generous pieces of leather for crafting.  I forgot to take a before photo, but it had incredible 1980's padded shoulders!



There was some bonded interfacing around the pockets and lower edge so I trimmed that off along with some other unusable spots.  There's still plenty left to work with.  I'll be fiddling with this tomorrow.  It could be a small tote bag, change purse, or slipper soles. Do you have any other suggestions?






Thanks to Heidi and Crafty Vegas Mom for hosting the Friday Night Sew In!  Click this link to see what other folks created last night!



Peace,
Farmgal

17 comments:

Noela said...

I like to use tape for straight stitching also although I have just found a frixion pen which irons out after you stitch. Haven't had any problem with it as yet. Your little quilt is very cute. Hugs,,,,,

Impera_Magna said...

LOVE that quilt... just gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see what you do with that leather jacket... what fun!

MYstory of HIStory said...

I rrreeeaaalllly like this quilt!! :) .... and your stack of apples & cheddar sounds delish & satisfying. Happy Fall! :)

Brad K. said...

Leather. Mm. Could save a couple pieces for elbow patches for sweaters. A pouch for reading glasses, either with draw string or just a tie or button soft flap.

With a bit of tooling, a small box cover.

The quilt looks great!

Enjoy

Nancy said...

Your quilt is pretty. I love the white background with the little vibrant pops of color. I can't wait to see what you do with the recycled leather.

Rosemary said...

Love your quilt! Love the bright colors! SO many ideas for leather! I wonder what you'll decide!

Simone said...

Wow you baby quilt is amazing. I am loving your quilting.

Cheryl said...

Love your sweet quilt, and the hand quilting is perfect!

Charlie and Wendy said...

Your quilt is so beautiful, lovely bright colours.

Nicola said...

Your baby quilt looks great - really lovely. I've never been brave enough to craft with leather - maybe I'll give it a try!

Nicola said...

Your baby quilt looks great - really lovely. I've never been brave enough to craft with leather - maybe I'll give it a try!

Denise :) said...

Your quilt really is lovely. When I first saw the leather jacket (deconstructed) I thought perhaps you were making 'bat wings' for someone's Halloween costume! :)

Jeanette said...

Beautiful quilt. Hugs,

Jennifer W. said...

LOVE your quilt. What a great project to work on for FNSI!

Kelli said...

I love the layout of your baby quilt, and your hand quilting is gorgeous!! :) Great FNSI! Hope you've had a great rest of the weekend.
xo

The Thompsons said...

What an adorable baby quilt! I love the little triangles.

Anthea said...

Farmgal you are co clever to hand quilt so beautifully, it looks lovely! And I do think that 80s should pads SHOULD be cut up and the fabric used for something else, I'm sure you will make something great...