Sunday, September 23, 2012

Playing in the kitchen.....gf experiment

A co-worker recently was presented with the dilemma of having to change the family menu to gluten-free.  We're all trying to help on this quest to find satisfying and tasty alternatives to our wheat-based foods.  You can fill your cart at Whole Foods and even the "regular" grocery stores now carry gluten-free mixes in the natural foods aisle, but there's a noticeable increase at the checkout counter.  Luckily, a new gluten-free bakery just opened a few towns away from work.  They'll be trying it this weekend and will report in to us at work as to how it stacks up.

About a year ago I stumbled on this recipe and even bought the chickpea flour, but never made the crackers.  Today I decided it was time.  I didn't have any black sesame seeds so I added poppy seeds.  And I don't have parchment paper on hand so I rolled them onto the slick side of freezer paper and scraped them off with a spatula.....messy, but it worked.





The most intriguing aroma came from my oven while these were baking!  The fifteen minutes that they took to bake were just long enough to clean up and pour a glass of water.  It was hard to wait for them to cool before a taste test.

They're surprising.  Not really like a cracker, but they're hard and crunchy and would work with cheese, hummus, or other spread.  They'd be great with a bowl of tomato soup.  For anyone who has had the baked, hard chickpeas (ceci) that are found at Italian festivals, these have that taste.  They're kinda habit forming.  I found myself going back for another....and another.  I will make them again, after I've bought parchment paper.  And I'll let my co-worker know about them.  Maybe I'll bring in a few samples ;)

Thanks to eveyone who stopped by with kind, happy comments about Friday Night Sew In!  I hope you had a wonderful Fall weekend!  ....and don't forget to take some time to play in the kitchen :)



Peace,
Farmgal

1 comment:

Impera_Magna said...

I'll have to pass this recipe on to my DD who is gluten/wheat-free. Thanks for sharing it with us!