Monday, September 24, 2012

Kitchen duty

Okay, hands up if you welcomed the change in the weather (season) with baked goods.  What is it about a chilly night and a lower sun in the sky that warrants turning on the oven and popping in a loaf of banana muffins, pumpkin bread, or a pie?

I came home from work with one thought in mind....cooking up enough to get through the week, and more.  And that's just what I did, getting most of my mixing bowls and cast iron skillets dirty in the process.  I cooked up some fish cakes (2 meals), samosa cakes (6 meals), chickpea crackers (snacks), kale chips (snacks), and banana bran muffins (there's my baked goods :)   Lots of this will go in the freezer for fuss-free meals (yay!) and I may hard-boil a couple eggs before the night is through.  My goal is to have no cooking this week, and no excuse to eat out.

This is the second time I've made kale chips.  I've been thinking that they must have been "discovered" by someone who dehydrated kale for preserving through the winter.  Has anyone experience with dehydrating leafy greens?  Could they be baked enough (without burning) to use like dried parsley in meatloaf, meatballs, or veggie dip?  Those bunches of kale at the market are so huge lately!  I'd like to have a bit more variety than stir fry or soup.  Any suggestions?

I've got to dash off to cook those eggs.  If I sit any longer I might change my mind.  I hope you're getting everything set for an easy week, too.


Peace,
Farmgal

2 comments:

Kelli said...

So.. I'll be over for dinner every night this week then. :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Sure! Dinner is at 6:00 ;)