Friday, September 28, 2012

Entering the 21st century!

They knew what my plan was for Wednesday night so they were waiting for news when I got to work Thursday morning.  I had gone to the electronics super store to buy one of those new-fangled tech-y gadgets that they all have for reading books.  And they know that I resist change and tech in my personal life.  (I still prefer a flip-style cell phone...no data plan...no web.  I deal with computers all day, which may be why I like to hand quilt at night...no systems issues.)  So they waited and wondered how my excursion went.

I had a whole bunch of gift cards and rebate cards totalling almost half the cost of a Kindle Fire HD.  I felt like one of those folks who fill a shopping cart at the grocery store and check out by paying only $3.45.  The nice fellow at the register got a kick out of it, too.

When I got home I almost didn't want to open the sturdy box it came in.  The packaging was sleek, with a few tamper-proof type seals and a heavy duty pull tab.  The box is a dark charcoal grey/black....sleek.  For a moment I forgot about my concern for the environment, didn't I?  It's THAT impressive.  Anyway.....

Here I will admit my lack of techitude and let you laugh at me because I couldn't find how to turn it on.  The button is that well hidden.  Trying to navigate the screens made me feel so out of date, but persistence paid off and I'm getting there.  I found some Youtube videos explaining how to operate it which I will watch this weekend.  Sometimes you just have to dive in and paddle :)

When they asked why I didn't buy a cover for it, I smiled and explained that I would be making one.  That's where my old-school skills come in.  I'll be cutting into that black leather this weekend.....

I'm glad I bought it.  It was time to step into the present.


Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!  I hope you get to enjoy some pretty Autumn weather!


Peace,
Farmgal

4 comments:

Maria said...

Please let me know how you like it! I am thinking of buying one also....so I don't have to carry books on vacation!

Sue McPeak said...

I'm an Old School Gal, too. If I can figure a way to make it...I do it! I have an 'Old School Kindle'...so you are One HiTechie up on me with your Kindle Fire HD. I have really enjoyed reading on my Kindle for novel reading. I can't even imagine a Quilt Book on Kindle....I'd miss the pictures and pattern pages.

I'll be watching for your Kindle Leather Cover.

Impera_Magna said...

I'm the same about technology in my personal life... altho I do have a puter at home. I only got a cell phone under pressure from the kids about them worrying about me driving around by myself. *lol* Still have a non-fancy phone and don't do text messaging tho I've been strongly encouraged to get that on my plan...

I'm holding out on a book reader... I love holding books too much... however, making a cover/case for one appeals.. *lol*

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi folks,
I'll be clicking around on it this weekend (after I watch the instruction videos) and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for stopping by!