Monday, July 16, 2012

What I did on my summer vacation.....

Oh, the benefits of summer!  Longer days and clear roads for traveling.  No worrying about snow and icy patches means that I can leave before the sun is fully risen, which is what I did last Thursday.  I packed my car and pointed it North.  In a few hours the sun had reached high in the bright blue sky and I was where I wanted to be.


Not surprisingly, one of the first things I did when I arrived in northern Vermont was to get my hair cut.  I decided that a pony tail was not the way to beat the heat, so I stopped at an inexpensive chain and requested a straight, short cut that I could blow back from my face.  It came out better than I had hoped, so my vacation was off to a good start!


Thursday evening was a softball game for the team my youngest son is on.  (Please note that my youngest is twenty-something.)  Coincidentally, the team they played against was the same one I saw them play last summer!  Everyone did well and had fun.  Congrats to the winning team....but just wait until next year ;)


Every morning started with a walk by the water.  I would just love to start every day there....




This was followed by tea and a fresh scone while sitting outside at a local cafe.  Mmmmmmm.....


I scavenged some good secondhand stores, spent some time at the beach, and laughed with family and friends.  We tried a barbecue restaurant that had just opened a few days before.


I watched a street artist draw quite a crowd while he balanced on five chairs and juggled flaming torches....



....and do a handstand on top.





He was kinda funny and the crowd gave the appropriate "ooooohs" and "ahhhhhs".


On Saturday we enjoyed strolling around the farmers' market, tasting samples, buying flowers and fruit and watching people, including one vendor who was walking around with her pack goat.






I feel so blessed that I was able to enjoy an extra long weekend away from work, and to spend that time with family and friends whom I love.  My family because even though we are far apart, as they have grown into adults our relationship has developed into a new phase.  My friends because I feel like myself when I am with them.  I can walk back into their doors and we pick up where we left off.  We were cut from the same fabric and have the same values.  We laugh together, we cry together.  We encourage each other to be the best we can be.


There's more, and I've got time saved for other vacations this year.  I'll be on the road again, going to different places.   I choose short trips packed full with experiences and memories.


How about you?  Do you take one grand trip on vacation, or fill small ones with fun?  Would you rather stay at the beach for a week or take a weekday off to root for your favorite team at the ballpark?






Peace,
Farmgal

1 comment:

Impera_Magna said...

I'm so glad you had a great mini-vacation! Spending time with family is The Best!!!