Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gifts

This is the third year that my neighbor (a sweet little woman well into her eighties) has gifted little "orphan" tomato plants to me.  Her son raises them from seed and brings them to her in early summer.  When I first moved here I would see her working out back, setting in all the tomato plants.  Due to her age and some health issues, her son now does that for her.  I see him unloading boxes with green stems and leaves from his car.  Then she gives him instructions like a good mother would (*wink*) and sits on the back step, watching him do what she so lovingly did for years.

She called to me as I was in the kitchen and gave me two plants.  They're going spindly on me this year with all the heat we've had.  I've been keeping them watered but they would do much better planted directly in the ground.  Still, I will care for them and will certainly enjoy a round globe or two for a summer dinner.






My neighbor has a soft, gravely voice and speaks broken English, having come here from another country.  She is proud and generous, keen and strict.  She loves to laugh.  She's been here for many years but there are times when she has difficulty understanding the language.

She likes me because I love gardening and I do craft work.  She crochets and sews.  I've given her branches of rosemary whenever I have a small plant, which she uses to rinse her hair.


Wishing everyone a safe and Happy 4th of July!  Enjoy our independence, whether you were born here or immigrated to these shores; the land of the free.  And Thank You to all those who have preserved our freedom.


Peace,
Farmgal

3 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

What a lovely neighbor you have!

Happy July 4th to you!

Maria said...

That is a great gift! ENJOY it all summer long!

Maria said...

2