Saturday, February 4, 2012

New (old) directions

You haven't heard much from me lately because there's much going on here.  There hasn't been sufficient time to post meaningful thoughts.

My mother is back at home, although quite a bit weaker and more unsteady on her feet.  I'm praying for a comeback from this woman with a strong and lovely soul.  Her dependency upon me makes me nervous.

There is now a section of sheetrock cut out of my living room wall approximately 18" across from floor to ceiling.  The pinhole pipe leak from an upstairs condo unit was spurting into the insulation and against my wall.  This section had to be removed and now a dehumidifier is running (along with my heat!) to thoroughly dry out the wall cavity.  It will be like this for five to seven days.  I do have to say that the gentleman who is doing the repair is very thorough and left not one speck of dirt behind.

I'm saying prayers for a younger friend who has a diagnosis of a disability and will be starting preventative medication.  Lord, guide the good doctor.

And also for a co-worker whose close family member received a grim diagnosis this week.

Things like this remind us that what we need, and what we all want, are not the newest and the shiniest gizmos on the shelf.  What matters most is life, love of family and close friends.  Appreciation for Nature, art, and sciences.  Time, fresh air, and rest.  A spiritual relationship.  An awakening of the mind.

There is a stirring within me to further develop the lifestyle I wrote about two years ago.  All those small changes I had explored during Hip Mountain Mama's One Small Change challenge were so natural to me, and I want to take more steps in becoming the me that I was meant to be.  The Kanelstrand Simple Living in February challenge is travelling along a parallel path, and is opening my eyes to another aspect of being.  A dear friend has also been discussing this with me on a more spiritual level.

(For anyone who has not known me very long, I have added a "My Small Changes" page on this blog to see the changes I made in my lifestyle.)

I will be here, but not as often.  I have committed to the monthly Friday Night Sew In and will use that to share news of what is happening in my life, along with my sewing adventures.  I'm loving the Just Takes 2 mystery quilt and have a few other ideas tickling my brain.  (I need new sports clothes this year ;)  And, of course, I'll be stopping by to check in with my dear friends and see what you've been doing!

Next week I'll be heading north to visit family and old friends (Yes! A road trip!)  In a few days I'll be sitting at a familiar kitchen table, chatting away and catching up.  And maybe making a few plans.

There's much exploring to do.



Peace.


.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I have been in a similar place lately and working hard to balance anxiety with optimism. That is the only option-to live each day. I'll be thinking of you, and your mom.

Maria said...

Continued prayers for your mom first of all....

Sorry about the leak, secondly....

Sounds like you have had a bad week of news. I hope things start to brighten up a bit for you.

Enjoy your time with your family. We all need to rejuvenate!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello Mary and Maria,
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I'll be thinking of you, too, and will stop by to see what you're up to!