Sunday, January 22, 2012

Red and White

I've always loved antique red and white quilts, which is what influenced my color choice for the Just Takes 2 quilt along.  Luckily, yesterday MyStory of HiStory left a link in her comment that led me to a story of an amazing quilt show of hundreds of red and white quilts which I, sadly, missed :(  

Red and white quilts have that "homemade" charm of a simpler time when fingers, knotted from years of hard work, pieced and quilted with love all these covers that we treasure today.  Years ago I was fortunate enough to have found a full red and white quilt top and some blocks in a box at a church sale.  I completed the quilt top, hand quilting a moderate design, and sold it.  Ditto, the quilt blocks. I made a few small wall hangings from them.  Unfortunately, I have no photos of the full quilt but here is a floral star block from the box that I finished as a wall hanging.


(The photo quality looks poor because it is a photo of an old photograph.  My scanner is not currently hooked up.)


Some years ago I was fortunate enough to have been asked to handquilt this beautiful red and white schoolhouse raffle quilt for the Vermont Quilt Festival.  It was pieced with beautiful red prints.  Some lucky person won this  :)



(Photo taken before the edge was bound.)


So my current project, the Just Takes 2 quilt along, is filling a void.  When it is finished I will have my own red and white quilt  ;)
Thank you, MyStory, for the link!  I'm so glad to know that others have a high regard for some of my favorite of quilts.  And it was nice to go back in time.  I had forgotten about these!

.

2 comments:

MYstory of HIStory said...

You're welcome! Sew glad you enjoyed it sew much ;) I knew you would love it.

Did you see that ONE PERSON owns ALL of those quilts ?! ...Hmmm...I wonder where those two quilts you shared about are today? Who knows - maybe one or both ended up in that collection?! :) Just a fun tho't :)

We have a red/white quilt on our bed and I love it.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one you're making progress.

Kelli said...

I LOVE red and white quilts, and that schoolhouse one was amazing! Thanks for sharing your photos!