Saturday, January 21, 2012

FNSI - 1/20/2012 - Fun with Just Takes 2 blocks

Winter has been much milder than last year, and yesterday's weather reports had everyone anticipating the first significant snowfall to begin overnight.  It was cold and clear.  The perfect evening to stay snug at home and enjoy an evening of sewing.

Last weekend I joined the Just Takes 2 mystery quilt along, purchased, washed, and ironed my material, and generally, smiled all week.  I cut the pieces for the first six blocks on Thursday.  Rushing home from work on Friday evening, I was anxious to start sewing.

After a very quick supper I followed the instructions for each block, carefully sewing and pressing.  I love that each one is different.  It's not an assembly line procedure, sitting at my sewing machine and running dozens of the same pieces through the feed dog.  In other words, very different from any quilt I've made in the past.



The lighting makes this pure white fabric look somewhat dingy!
I'll take photos with natural daylight next time...

With each completed block my smile grew larger.  They are all various small sizes.  This is going to be an interesting quilt!  I decided to complete the second installment of blocks over this weekend so that I'll be caught up with the group.  So check back here on Sunday night to see if I've kept my word ;)

And be sure to head over to Crafty Vegas Mom's blog to see what everyone from Friday Night Sew In has accomplished.  Seeing all those lovely stitches is a dose of inspiration!

By the way, it's been snowing since sometime after midnight  :)
Have a wonderful Saturday!


.

13 comments:

MYstory of HIStory said...

Ooooh...this is going to be fun to watch as it all comes together! Just recently I saw a photo of a beautiful display of red/white quilts in a quilting magazine. This post brought it to mind. If you haven't seen it, you must! I searched on line and found this link to it. Just beautiful! Incredible. Amazing. You're gonna love it! :)

http://www.themarthablog.com/2011/03/infinite-variety-three-centuries-of-red-and-white-quilts.html

Impera_Magna said...

Lucky you with snow! Great time to stay home and sew...

Love your blocks... it's going to be a great quilt!

Mary said...

Pretty!

barb's creations said...

Love the red and white blocks you're working on,you've been very busy.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment :) Barb.

Jo said...

OOOh I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt come together I love the red and white. I must say the black and white photo is gorgeous a sweet looking little girl.
Thanks for popping over to my blog.

Wee Little Birds said...

I love your blocks... the colours are fantastic.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and you lively comments.
Hugs Tanya

Sheila said...

Great blocks and love the red and white , will make a stunning quilt and I know exactly what you mean a sampler quilt is fun because you are not doing assembly line sewing :-0 I look forward to seeing more progress.

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful blocks! I am hoping to resist starting this project, but every time I see the beautiful blocks, I waver!

Susan said...

Love your blocks. Very nice

Barb said...

Oh, your blocks look wonderful! Snowed here as well.

Cindy said...

I'm also doing the Just Takes 2 challenge. Your blocks are lovely!

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!

pinsandneedles said...

Love me a pretty red and white quilt! I thought about joining the Just Takes 2 mystery QAL...there are so many QAL to join! You were busy!

Kelli said...

I love red and whites soo much and am looking forward to watching this quilt come together. :o) I am a new follower..nice to *meet* you.
xo
Kelli