Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Crop yields and safety

I heard an interesting tidbit on the news the other day.  It appears that here in southern CT, the hot summer created a bad year for the acorn crop.  I really should have noticed that because of the oak trees right near my deck.  There are almost no acorns on the ground now, just the opposite of last year when I posted this.

But the next bit of information caught my attention.  Due to the lack of acorns in the woods the deer population must find other food, mostly fresh grass.  Here, the most convenient fresh grass for them is at the edge of the woods.  Which is also on the edge of the highway.

Drivers, please be cautious.

3 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Hi Farmgal! What a surprise to find you here tonight! Welcome back!

Hmmm...interesting post. I had no idea about the acorn crop, etc.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory!
Thanks for stopping by :)
When you're out and about, take a look for acorns and let me know how it is up your way.

Maria said...

So happy to see your post! You know, my grandparents used to say when there were a lot of acorns it was going to be a tough winter (mother nature knew she had to supply her animals) and last year that was the TRUTH. But when there aren't a lot of acorns, it would be an easier winter....but if the weather is to blame for the acorn shortage, who knows what is going to happen this year. Thank you for the PSA. Glad you are back!