Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hot summer nights

What happens when you type "free concerts, (your area)" into Google?  I turned up a link to a great website for my county with a list that filled 4 printed pages.  I've got free entertainment for the rest of the summer, whether I want to hear oldies, top 40 hits, blues, big band, or even watch Toy Story 3  ;)

On this hot, stuffy night I sat on the town green beneath large shade trees with a few hundred other folks.  We listened to a talented group on the gazebo playing top 40 hits from the 60s through today.  And the nicest part was that it was more comfortable sitting outside than it would have been inside.  I'll be back here next week, when the scheduled group will play Frank Sinatra's songs.

Due to a once in a lifetime opportunity, I am opting out of the Friday Night Sew In for this month, although I'm sure I'll be sewing over the weekend.  Instead of working with thread and fabric I'll be listening to that great group, The Spinners....outside...a few miles up the Merritt Parkway.  My lawn chair is in the car....I'll pack up something for dining al fresco....and tap my foot to Rubberband Man.

I'm also getting anxious for a good bike trip.  My short rides around here are just a tease and I'm looking for new sights.  There are a few close enough to be a day's excursion.  It may all come down to flipping a coin!

Summer is short, and we've got to get enough summertime fun to last through the winter.  I hope you're finding lots of great things to do, too!

3 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

What a great way to spend an evening... outside, under the trees, listening to live music... wish I could join you!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Sounds like a lovely evening ... attending an outdoor/free concert. We have them here too -- but we have no good reason for never attending one! Sure sounds fun. Our plan for Sat/Aug Anniversary celebration is to go to Tanglewoods tho'. Ever heard of it? Similar but different (not free) :)

MyStory of HiStory said...

oops...that shoulda been July .... not Aug.... yikes! Don't wanna rush summer any faster than it's already going! ;)