Thursday, June 2, 2011

You'll have to take my word for it :)

It's that time of year when all these good foods are starting to show up in the market.  Fresh food from the Earth.  From fiddleheads and sorrel to ramps and rhubarb, there are lots of good eats out there.

This week I decided to stew up a few stalks of rhubarb, adding a little water and a pinch of sugar.  After it had boiled a while but still had plenty of liquid remaining, I decided to separate the liquid from the solid.  The pretty pink "juice" was intended for a Rhubarb lemonade and the solids were a test for a rhubarb smoothie.







The lemonade is very satisfying.  Great for a hot, sticky day.  And pretty, too :)



For breakfast, I made a smoothie with a half banana, approximately a half cup of Greek-style yogurt, and another half-cup of rhubarb "pulp".  It was delicious!  I need to thin it out next time, because it was really too thick to drink (I choose to use a spoon).  But I didn't take any pictures because of a color issue.  It wasn't an "appealing" shade of pinkish-tan-grey.

The taste, however, more than made up for the lack of rosy pink color  :)

2 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Have never had a rhubarb smoothie... something that needs trying, I think...

Mary said...

That sounds good! It is still chilly here so lemonade and smoothies will have to wait.