Friday, June 3, 2011

Keepers

 
There are a few older dresses which have turned up in my travels that I have no desire to part with.  They're too delicate to wear, and surely no museum would want them.  They just bring a smile to my heart to see them, to inspect small details, to re-fold them, or to see them hanging in the closet.

This one I have often called the "Ultimate Lucy Dress", with it's flowing skirt, bold check, and perky appliqued bow. It's just begging for a redhead in flats to enter the living room from stage left.









This brings visions of a young girl in a black and white movie from the 40's, perhaps on a ranch. She has a crush on the handsome (and naive) cowhand, but can't get him to notice that she's growing up. He still thinks of her as a tomboy in bobby socks. Later in the movie she will be wearing a flattering debutante-style gown that brings him to his senses ;)












I can't quite put a date on this dress, but I think it's from the 1940's. It's a simple shirtwaist, and the color fascinates me. (Isn't that an incredible collar?) The fabric is so light, it feels like it would float away on a breeze. And there are tiny outlines of houses hidden in the print!













This gown is a recent find. The material is similar in feel to vintage dotted Swiss. It's so simple and feminine. I imagine it was worn with a heavy, long slip. (The slip in the photo is sheer and short.) I also think it was handmade.













The whole lot of them aren't worth the cost of a good dinner out, but their hidden "histories" are priceless :)

Hey, it's Friday!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Peace.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, these are all wonderful dresses. I especially like the shirtwaist (I'm a sucker for that style) and it's color fascinates me too. Celadon? Anyway, the fabric is special!!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Mary,
Yes, Celadon :)