Sunday, June 5, 2011

Is it real?









This was purchased at a tag sale yesterday, held at a local church.  It was the first tag sale I have stopped at this year!  My weekends have been that busy!

There were folks selling very nice clothing (used) at reasonable prices, children's toys, some furniture, and one gentleman who was setting up a booth of old bottles.  (Read that as "Bright, shiny objects" ;)  The booth was entirely old bottles, mostly small, medicinal bottles.  He had a few old milk bottles from the home-delivery era.  But this cereal milk bottle was placed in a spot that caught my eye and wouldn't let go.  It almost jumped into my hand, try as I did to walk away from it.  The vendor did not know where this one originated but it was in a cellar that was cleaned out, as were many of the other bottles on display.  At the small price of $2, I caved.

So my question is......is this real?  Or is this a recent creation, made to look like a vintage item?  It is about 5 inches tall.  (The imperfect glass and the dirt are a great touch....)  I couldn't find it on a quick internet search.  Have you seen these before?  I'd appreciate any information.

And if it is fake (a modern decorative item), my $2 bottle will be a good "penny jar"  :)

4 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Check out this page, almost to the bottom...
http://dairyantiques.com/Other_Dairy_Bottles.html

"The third, amber jar contained Cereal Milk. This product was manufactured by Wells Richardson & Company of Burlington, Vermont and was advertised to contain the purest Vermont dairy milk, the finest wheat-gluten flour, the best barley malt and milk sugar. Cereal Milk was advertised in the early 1900’s and this jar has a ground lip and would date to that period."

I think for $2, you got a deal!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Wow, thank you for finding this. It does have a ground lip, which is one reason I suspected it to be fake.

How interesting that they added malt, etc., to the milk as nutritional supplements!

Thanks for sharing! I guess I'll clean up this little gem and give it a proper place to show off.

MyStory of HiStory said...

Whata FUN find! :) I think it would be so neat to have a whole window w/ shelves full of colored glass bottles lined up for the sun to shine thru! :)

The Curious Cat said...

It is really pretty whether it is real or not! How cool! :) Thanks for stopping by today and your words of encouragement! We're our own worst critics but it is nice to get some positive feedback! xxx