Saturday, June 18, 2011

Here it is! ....and more to come ;)

It was a bit humid, but with a fan blowing across the room I was able to keep cool and put the last stitches in the applique floral wreath quilt top. It's only been hanging around since....oh, mid-January.  For anyone who has not been by here before, the applique pieces are all from vintage aprons and housedresses that were not in very good condition.  My goal was to make something of beauty from the utilitarian clothing that women wore while making a happy, healthy home for their loved ones.  It will be a coverlet or lap quilt size, and I will be doing the hand-quilting this winter.  Here are photos after tonight's Friday Night Sew-In.













I've been enjoying all the wonderful quilts made by fellow bloggers, especially the lovely treasures crafted by Impera Magna.  So I followed her link to the Kaleidescope Quilt Along.  It immediately caught my attention because (1) the block is simple and straight-forward, and (2) it is perfect for calico-type scraps (ie: my vintage aprons).  So I'm officially jumping in with both feet.  I've checked the yardage requirements and will be shopping for background and backing material this weekend.  Here are the rest of my vintage aprons that I will be using.




And here's the exciting part....I will be machine quilting this one.  Yes, the old die-hard hand-quilting traditionalist may give in and have at it with my old Bernina.  So, keep watch here for more silk purses made from sow's ears ;)

Take a quick hop over to Heidi's blog and visit all the great folks who were crafting during this month's Friday Night Sew-In.  You're sure to see some beautiful creations!

Thanks for stopping by!


16 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Oh, how I love your quilt top... it is a thing of incredible beauty made even more lovely by the repurposing of clothing of home-making woman!

So glad you're joining in the Kaleidoscope QAL! Your repurposed fabric will be perfect!

Cathy said...

Love your quilt top. It is really beautiful. The Kaleidoscope QAL is looking good. Hugs

Mary said...

Lovely quilt top, made especially more lovely by the fact that it is made from vintage pieces.

Rhonda said...

Great quilt top.
I am loving the FNSI. I've really gotten things done, too.
Take care.

Sandra :) said...

Your floral wreath is amazing - there's something magical and wondrous about saving and reusing/recycling old linens and giving them new purpose, just like the pioneer women did ages ago!

Teresa said...

Your quilt top is beautiful. I'd also like to welcome you to the machine quilting club. We're a friendly bunch!

Stitchin' time said...

I'm not much of a needleworker so I appreciate the time you've gone to in making such a lovely repurposed quilt top. Part of the beauty of it is the amount of blank space which really showcases the patterns on it.

Vintage Cate said...

I really love the idea of making quilts from recycled clothes etc. Your aprons are just beautiful and your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I made my husband a quilt from his shirts and ties when he retired from banking. It was great fun and a lovely momento of his working life. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt. Happy stitching.

rosie said...

I have just had a lovely read of your blog.. I love the idea too of making something new from something old.. I love using scraps that I have on hand, and I can't resist scooping up old doyleys from op-shops.. Looking forward to reading more.

supermom said...

This quilt is coming together so beautifully. What a treasure it will be once it's all quilted.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Your quilt top is absolutely gorgeous...love love love it...and that you made it from old clothing items...will be checking back to see what lovely quilting patterns you use to enhance... :)

Manda said...

Amazing quilt top. And what a lovely idea to use old aprons :)

Maria said...

That is just beautiful....it is coming out so wonderfully! I LOVE your stash of aprons!!!

Dogmom Diva said...

What a beautiful quilt! Wow, one day I am going to learn how to quilt, too...I love how you take old clothing and make something of such beauty! and thank you for stopping by my blog, always nice to make new friends!!

Barb

MyStory of HiStory said...

Just lovely!

Dandelion Quilts said...

What a beautiful quilt! How wonderful.