Sunday, June 19, 2011

Berry season

The U-pick strawberry fields were packed yesterday afternoon!  As I walked in carrying my empty berry tray, dozens of folks were carrying full trays out.  Imagine all the freezing and canning that will be going on :)

I opted to walk out to the field instead of taking the little trolley, and joined all the happy pickers.  Each person, or family group, is given a designated row to pick.  There were happy young children "helping" their parents on one side of me and a French speaking mother-daughter team on the other.  Everyone was enjoying the sunshine.

I picked less than a quarter of the tray (about one-tenth of the row!)  The day before we had torrential downpours which inevitably created very juicy berries.  They had absorbed so much water that they would not freeze well, and freezing was my primary goal of the day.

But all is well that ends well, as they say, because I gave quart to my friend who drove me on the day of my exam, I had cereal with berries for dinner, and this morning I simmered the rest into a very lightly sweetened strawberry sauce that I'll use for french toast.  I'll keep about a cup's worth in the fridge and put the rest in the freezer for later this year.

I'll be going back on Friday, weather permitting, to get enough for a canning session.  I've made strawberry and strawberry-rhubarb jam in the past, but I'm itching to make that strawberry-balsamic-black pepper jam I heard so much about last year!

Today I'm heading out to the second-hand stores.  I need a few summer tops and I'd like to find some fabric (used clothing) to use in making them.  I hope you've got some fun plans for today!

Thank you! to all who stopped by yesterday to see my FNSI completion, and for all your very kind comments.  The one thing I've learned from the internet is that we may be so different, but we are so much alike.  Whether folks are reading this from the next US state or on the other side of the world, we all love to make beautiful things with our hands, we want to create a happier world, we want to share ideas, and we are concerned about the world that we are leaving to our children.  I'm glad to have made new acquaintences and hope to meet many more new friends out there :)

7 comments:

rosie said...

Hope you have a great time with those strawberries.. It's time to plant them here! I wish I could come thrift shopping with you, my absolute favorite past time!!

Impera_Magna said...

Strawberry season is late April into May here and I miss them already. The ones in the stores are okay but just not the same!

Have fun today and happy shopping!

Mary said...

yum, now I am hungry for strawberry jam on french toast. But I just finished my toast with peanut butter, which is my treat every so often.

Enjoy thrift shopping and thanks for the retrospective on that tee you made last year. Love it!

Vintage Cate said...

Stitching joins us all doesn't it. Hope you had a productive shopping trip.

farmlady said...

I need to make a batch of Strawberry jam soon but I have to travel to the valley to get good sweet strawberries.
My corgi, Carl, has depleted my supply in the garden. He's my little strawberry bandit.
Buying summer blouses at a thrift shop is a great idea. I do it all the time.

Bev C said...

Oh there is nothing like fresh home made jam.
Good luck looking for the material.
happy days.
Bev.xoxo

MyStory of HiStory said...

YUM. Your strawberry sauce sounds particularly delish! Picking strawberries is a tradition here! I hope to get out to a farm tomorrow with the girls to do the same!