Sunday, May 29, 2011

Something in the air

Somewhere between the annual clean-out and that rule of removing one item for each item that comes into the house, I recently made a few trips to consignment stores, thrift shops, and the trash bin.  Add to that over 200 sewing patterns given away on Freecycle and another bag currently on Craig's List, and I've sliced a serious dent in my stash.

One thing that can produce a whirlwind de-clutter is an old friend from out of state who calls to announce a visit.  Evenings on the back deck, sipping wine and laughing, or walking through the park, or dining out, with someone who has known me for almost twenty years sure is a great start to the summer season!  So I took a few days to get this place up to par.  It didn't all get done in time.  Yes, there were some things that were stuffed back into the storage room and I'm handling those now.  (Thus, the patterns on Craig's List....)  It's a good feeling to free up some space.

So, what has made the cut?  What recent purchases are still here?




A sweet small "luggage" case needing some rust clean up and a new leather handle.





Something I've wanted FOR.EV.ER!  A carry basket from a five and dime.  I'm old enough to actually remember these  ;)
This one needs some TLC, so I'll be starting a search for a similar canvas so I can dis-assemble this, clean the rust, and recover it.





A circa 1960's metal school desk.  It was by the side of the road with a FREE sign on my last trip to VT :)  It has been scrubbed but I've still got to put some Rustoleum on the feet.  My portable machine is quite content to have it's own home instead of the kitchen table.





This older snap setter with all the pieces and instructions.  I have new ones but there's something comforting about one that was used by a 1940's homemaker.






A perfect pair of Polly Preston shoes from the early 60's.  They were worn so little that the printing inside the show still looks new.  And they're a perfect fit!


And this......





but that's a story for another day ;)

Have a wonderful weekend.  If you are here in the U.S., I hope you're enjoying a long holiday.  (Please remember why we have this extra day off from work.)

Thank you to all who have served our country!

2 comments:

farmlady said...

I'm going to have to remember that rule... If something comes into the house, then something needs to leave. Right now I'm not following that very well.. 4 or 5 things come in and nothing leaves. I'm just about maxed out here.
Time for a yard sale.
Love all the goodies. Those shoes are great.
Happy Memorial Day...

MyStory of HiStory said...

That IS a good rule! This is all so nostalgic....the poodle case is too cute. Looking forward to seeing that and the basket all spruced up :) And to hearing that story your saving for another day! :)