Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A small surprise

Yesterday morning I woke to find this "orphaned" tomato plant on my back deck.  You may remember that this happened last year, too.....

My sweet neighbor is in her eighties, originally from a Latin American island, and speaks broken English.  She sews and crochets, and knows that I do, too.  She enjoyed gardening in her younger days.  Each year her son stops by to plant tomatoes in a small space by the back fence for her to enjoy.  Again this year she saved one of the plants for me.  It was waiting on the deck in the cut-off milk carton, as usual ;)




One year I gave her branches from a rosemary plant I had, which she used as a hair rinse.  I think I'll stop at the garden center this week to buy her a small rosemary seedling.....

I hope your week brings you pleasant surprises, too!

5 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Surprises like that are fun to find! How thoughtful.

Impera_Magna said...

How sweet... and what a thoughtful thing to do for your neighbor! I'm sure she'll love the rosemary plant...

Mary said...

What a wonderful surprise-you have a nice neighbor, and are one yourself!

Farmchick said...

Sounds like a very sweet neighbor. I enjoyed my visit here ....hope you can stop by my farm for a visit. :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi all,
Thank you :)