Monday, May 9, 2011

Mmmmm, yum!

Here in the city, I don't have the excitement of foraging for my dinner.  I can find dandelions, but with the canine and skunk population I choose to pass on wild greens.

And most anything around here has probably been subject to weed-and-feed products.

It's not a question of not knowing about what's edible and what's not.

It's about what has been done to those plants.

So...

My exotic foods come from the market.




And tonight I finally tried these!




Ramps!


Oh, my!

Why did I wait so long?

(Actually, these were given to me...)

They're very delicious when cooked like this...




Sauteed with cracked pepper and salt, and served with oven-"fried" sweet potatoes.

They're only available for a short time in the spring.  I'll be looking for more this week.

Try something new!  (And don't wait too long.....like I did!)


3 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

I've never seen ramps in the store or farmers market... but those you sauted and served with the sweet taters look delish!

Maria said...

So where did you get them..I want to try them, also! I've read about them, but don't know where to find them?!

I had cardillia's this week (from my back yard) and they were awesome! (I have no idea what the real name of cardillia's is, but it is what my dad has always called them)???

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

These were sent as part of my Mother's Day gift from my son in NYC, where they are in the market and the natural foods stores.
I have seen them here in previous years, so I'll be calling the local stores (from Milford to Monroe) to find some before they disappear! (Not just Whole Foods, but all those local markets around here :)

I'll be checking for info on the cardillia, too!