Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Random-ness

I love paint drips on old wooden stepladders. The ladder isn't new and flashy, it's older than me, and those paint splatters were dripped by someone who was making a room look fresh. Over ninety percent of the drips are some shade of white, so their room was sparkly and bright when it was completed. I'd rather have an old workhorse of a stepladder with all those drips than a new one.

A Saturday morning of scouting yard sales is fun, even if I don't buy anything.  I'm not out to fill my car's trunk with stuff, I'm looking at treasured objects from the past.  I've seen toys older than myself and listened to an old hand-crank record player.  I've looked through boxes of dime-store jewellry and old tools.  It's a peek at the past.

One of my favorite ways to celebrate the New Year is to wake early on January 1st and go cross country skiing with friends, followed by a country-style home cooked breakfast. I've missed the last few years since I've been living down here, but I hope to catch up with them on a first morning sometime soon.  A bright, sunny morning spent outdoors with friends is a great way to start the year.

I grew up on Long Island Sound, which meets the Atlantic Ocean. In the summer the warm salt air would enter my bedroom window. Now, whenever I travel near the shoreline, I enjoy the salt water breeze as much as I do the sunshine.

I'm listening to the birds right now, as they call to each other in the early morning light.  It's a sweet music.  They're full of energy and communication at this time of day, as we hurry to get ready for work.

Enjoy the sights and sounds of your day :)

1 comment:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Paint drips on old wooden step ladders... what a fun picture the paints in my mind :) And I'm enjoying listening to the birds in the morning too! Your New Years celebration sounds fun really fun!