Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Whole lot of celebrating going on!

This Thursday is St Patrick's Day and we all get to enjoy wearing green and eating cupcakes with green frosting, or something similar. Some of us may indulge in a pint of green beer. I'll be celebrating because 92 years ago this Thursday an incredible woman was born. She hasn't made any sort of history that you would hear of. But she has lived a decent life, raised a good family, and been a respectable citizen. She has split wood and kept the woodstove burning, planted gardens, pushed an old reel lawnmower, cloth-diapered her babies, cooked most meals from scratch, canned foods, painted, belonged to the PTA, chaperoned school field trips, stayed up with sick children and then packed her husband's lunchbox the next morning, voted whenever possible, reads the daily paper, watches the news, feeds the little birds, and so much more. She has limitations now, and can't do as much as she'd like. But she's sharp as a tack, and I enjoy the time we spend together. If you've noticed that my postings are brief this week, it's because I've either been visiting or on the phone with Mom.

On another note, I've been doing just a bit of sewing on my floral quilt. I've signed up for the Friday Night Sew-In for this week with the intentions of completing the center medallion. The small pieces are taking more time to applique than I expected, so these scheduled Friday nights are working out very well! Setting aside a block of time where nothing interrupts is just what I need. And I've found that hand stitching is like meditation. I don't worry about anything else, and the time just flies. If only I could burn off some extra calories at the same time ;)

If you missed my post for my Apron Giveaway, please check out this link! The drawing is Saturday, March 19th at 6:00pm eastern time.

There will be one more giveaway after this one, in celebration of my two year blogging anniversary - woohoo! Thank you to everyone for all the fun!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Happy Birthday to your mother! God Bless her!
Have fun on Friday night!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Maria,
Thank you!