Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Score!

My mother is an excellent cook and has made some awesome desserts over the years. She always made batches of cookies for Christmas and wonderful cakes and a blueberry cobbler that never seemed to last more than a day for our family of six. But if she didn't have time to bake, we might end up with a bag of store-bought chocolate chip cookies.

I continued this tradition when my children were young, baking zucchini, pumpkin, or cranberry-orange breads, pies, cakes, cookies, whoopie pies, even granola bars. Whatever I thought they would enjoy, I'd make.

From all this, I have this weakness for quality baked goods. And since I don't have anyone else in the house to help eat the goodies, I usually buy a single serving at the bakery. I've enjoyed tiramisu and fancy chocolate cakes without the mess or the leftovers. And whenever I go to Whole Foods I sometimes usually buy one of their "Breakfast cookies", with almonds and dried cranberries and good wheat flour. It's rectangular shaped, thick, soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside. They're addicting. They're also expensive at $1.79 each. So I've been looking for a cookie recipe that will satisfy my sweet tooth with that wholegrain goodness.

I happened on this cookie recipe the other day at Get Natured/Live Nurtured blog. At first I thought that there were too many ingredients, too much fuss and bother. But the more I read, the more I liked what I saw. It's got some good flours, nuts, and natural sweeteners. I decided to try it.

Of course, I didn't have all the ingredients suggested. But I decided that if the recipe didn't work with what what on hand, at least I could figure out what needed to be adjusted on the next try. I forgot about the spelt flour in the cabinet and only used whole wheat flour. I only had about a quarter cup of walnuts so I left them out altogether. I did add poppy seeds and caraway seeds, just because I like them. I had molasses. I ground some oatmeal to make oat flour. The dough did not look promising. It was thick, which was good, but I still didn't anticipate good results.






But, oh! what a really nice cookie came out of the oven. It was semi-soft and not too sweet, like a healthy muffin, only smaller.




I found that I didn't need the non-dairy milk, the nut butter, or the additional flour (kamut was suggested.) I just used more of the whole wheat that I have on hand. This cookie stands good on it's own, mid-morning at work, or with a cuppa tea in the evening.


And while my quest for a cookie to replace those at Whole Foods is still ongoing, these may help wean me off those pricey nuggets.

4 comments:

Mug said...

Oh my...There are a bunch of ingredients in these cookies! But they do look good AND healthy....and not too hard. I copied the recipe to try my own variation. Thanks, Farmgal!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Mug,
That's the best part - you can change it for what ingredients you have!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Those DO look good. Hearty & wholesome. And cookies for breakfast ... sounds good to me! :)

Maria said...

Love homemade cookies and those look delicious! We have a local bakery that whenever I walk in, I HAVE to buy something sweet....A bad habit, I know, but oh, the smells just get to me!!! :)