Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Last week's thrift score

I know. I mentioned the rotary wall phone a few posts ago. I've owned a few of these over the past few years, mostly black. Although there was that deep yellow one (circa 1960s) that I wish I had kept. And someday I hope to stumble across a green one that will match my blender ;) But I sold them all in yard sales, much to my regret.

This one is white and covered with emergency stickers. The plan is to clean off the stickers, use a little Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the phone and hang it on a wall, unconnected, of course. A girl can have a little fun :)

So, what else was there besides the old papers?

There was a copy of the Newly Revised Sewing Made Easy from 1960. Along with sections on choosing material and altering patterns, I particularly like the chapter on Remodeling Your Clothes. Yes, refashioning is not new ;)










There was an undiscovered box of old Christmas ornaments. I have always regretted not taking the ones my mother was giving away! But I've been able to find a few boxes over the years.







You may have noticed that one of the latest trends on sewing blogs is the return of the old-fashioned sunbathing top. The vintage patterns are running up high prices on ebay. I just happened upon three of the "real deal"....3 original sunbathing tops. The elastic has done what elastic does with age, but these are really neat. I may end up using them to draft patterns.







The pink and white floral number has an interesting tie detail, where it feeds through the loop. It also has that wonderful shirred back, typically vintage. I had a bathing suit of shirred material like that when I was a young child.

There was also a dress which I am anxious to show you, but it is at the dry cleaners. I'll tell you about it next week ;)

It was a very good day. I hope all of yours are, too!

7 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Shirred bathing suit backs... oh, I do remember those!

MyStory of HiStory said...

I like your idea...to hang the phone on the wall. Fun/nostalgic. Whooda ever tho't that they'd become such a relic in our lifetime :)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Impera,
I've got an old photograph somewhere....
:)

Hi MyStory,
Yes! Who'd ever believe that something from our childhood would be so obsolete?!

supermom said...

I think I may have a pattern for sunbathing tops in my pattern stash. But I refuse to call them vintage, because I bought them new and if they are vintage, what does that make me? (Don't answer that... lol)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi supermom,
For myself, I prefer the term "seasoned" ;)

abby jenkins said...

Those sun bathing tops remind me so much of my mom! So cute!

Angie - SewIThought said...

Thrift stores are such a great resource for sewing books and guides!