Saturday, March 5, 2011

Just a peek at what I found

The bags from Thursday evening's splurge have been emptied and sorted. A few things have been laundered and more are waiting for their dip in the suds. Here are a few photos of my treasures for your viewing pleasure.




Knits, doubleknits, and self-fabric belts


Bold and Geographic prints











Peter Pan collars and cuffed short sleeves


(The print on this cotton blouse has sweet clover!)







Shaping built into the design







Details, like a collar that splits and overlaps in the back:










Feminine, functional style in seersucker


(Can you see a mother housecleaning and getting dinner started?)






(I love the overlapped back :)








A plain straight skirt, made special with dart details












And a handful of brand new old panties, with the tags still attached.

Some of these are from W.T. Grants, which was one of my favorite stores when I was a child.

It sold everything that a family could need.







Imagine a pretty full slip for one dollar.....













These next few things I may keep for myself.



This one just says "It's summer!" to me :)








I've REALLY fallen for this light sweater.....(sigh)

I can see it over a straight skirt.











Those are pearls and rhinestones on the collar, with fabric covered buttons.



Like I always say....details.





Oh, there is sooo much more. I'll start posting them in my etsy shop tonight. It may take a while to get them all in there.



Vintage should be fun, educational, and entertaining. What I've learned is an admiration for the skills that went into sewing fashions in the 50's and 60's. They used the darts as shaping and as part of the design. Clothing was designed to enhance the feminine form, whereas today's styles seem a bit more relaxed and casual, or simply expose the form (lack of fabric and style.) I'd love to see a renaissance* and appreciation for fashion that manipulated fabric to create beautiful styles. Some very talented folks are doing this by sewing their own styles, sometimes using older patterns. That could be a lot of fun, but for now I'll just enjoy admiring what they produce and finding some vintage clothing now and then.

Please stop by my earlier post to enter my Welcome Spring! giveaway. Add a comment for a chance to win my banner made from vintage aprons. Drawing on March 10th!



* Renaissance, per Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary: a situation or period of time when there is a new interest in something that has not been popular in a long time.

2 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

The collar on that last top is a feminine & classic mix of pearls & sparkle. Pretty ... almost elegant :)

Mug said...

Looks like you had fun! Great finds for your shop!!