Saturday, March 26, 2011

All about you and me, or not

We go about our lives leaving a trail that a gumshoe detective could piece together easily these days. First there are those credit cards that tell everything we buy, from mega-packs of Pampers at Costco or some other buying club, to movie tickets and wine. They also show where we've been. Whether we fly across country or pay for tickets to Disneyland or just purchase petrol on a road trip two states away, we leave a trail.

We use those little tags at the grocery stores to get deals on food. The brand of coffee you use is on sale if you use that tag this week so get two packs. Do you ever wonder if they keep track of what you buy? The diet soda and ice cream.....

Our cell phone leaves an even more ominous trail. The wireless carriers routinely check the location of our phones for access to the nearest tower. Another way of looking at it is that they always know where you are. And it's on record. According to this article in the NYTimes, the wireless company used by this gentleman in Germany tracked and saved his coordinates over 35,000 times within a six month period. He had to go to court to see the information they had collected.

Like a television or a computer, it seems that we can no longer live without an electric paper shredder in every home. For a sense of security, we destroy old bills and receipts. How many of our grandmothers are shredding the junk mail because it has their name and address on it, when just a generation ago our names and addresses were listed in the public telephone book?

I confess to having a shredder. In order to use it about once every other week, I have to get it from the back of the lower cabinet, plug it in, and hover over the trash can. (The base is somewhere in the storage room. I choose not to have the unit out in the open, like a piece of furniture.)

However, the other day I came across one of these. They do not need electricity. They can do crosscut, making tiny pieces. They actually take less time than setting up my electric unit. I just grab them out of the junk drawer, where they sit with my regular scissors. Win, win, win. I'm loving this.














I've seen these for as much as $18.99, but these were at the secondhand store for a dollar.......win.

4 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

I've seen those scissors a couple of places but you get a pair at the 2nd hand store for a buck... SCORE!

Wendy said...

Very cool scissors! You know how I love manual tools ... and bargains! Score!

We usually throw receipts, old bills, credit card offers, charitable solitions and subscription offers in the woodstove ;).

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Impera_Magna,
"Sheer" luck ;)

Hi Wendy,
Yes, junk mail makes a wonderful starter ;)

Robj98168 said...

I have never seen shears like that! Very Cool! Don't think I will get rid of my shredder though.