Wednesday, February 23, 2011

testing, testing.....

I had the opportunity to work in a chemistry lab for about nine months, some years back. The manufacturing plant where I worked was going through a reduction in workforce and some of us were shifted to other departments until we met our inevitable fate. I was moved to the chem lab. The funny thing is that I was a quick learner, and would take accurate samples and perform the testing procedures well. I also enjoyed what I was doing. I didn’t have a degree. Actually, I never even took chemistry class in high school. My scientific knowledge is limited to salicylic acid being what makes up aspirin, and that 16 degrees Celsius is equal to 61 degrees Fahrenheit.







Anyway, I think what I miss about being in a lab shows up in my interest in the kitchen. I love what happens when you mix, heat, and reduce.








Did you know that using cold milk will result in creamier oatmeal? I don’t know why, however I learned a long time ago that putting quick-style oats in a saucepan with cold milk will result in nice creamy oatmeal, not that watery cardboard-tasting stuff.






When I stumbled upon this recipe for Carrot Cake Oatmeal the other night, how could I resist? Those are two of my (many) favorite things. I set out to try it even though I had to substitute dried cranberries for the raisins and I have nothing that even slightly resembles cream cheese. (I decided to skip the frosting altogether.) So, as is my usual style, I experimented.







I declared it a complete success and had to package it up so that I wouldn’t eat it all. The two servings that I cooked by halving the recipe are slated to be my at-work breakfast for the next two days. Many of my co-workers bring in packets of that instant “stuff”, to which they add hot water and pretend they are enjoying their breakfast. But my jar of Carrot Cake Oatmeal will put their mush to shame when the heavenly aroma wafts from the microwave. And so, I can say……."Let them eat cake!" (carrot cake, that is ;)

9 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Ooops! I forgot to mention that the easiest way to clean a pot that oatmeal was cooked in is to first soak it in cold water - another scientific thing I don't understand, but it works!

farmlady said...

Great post! I think this is the first time I have ever heard someone refer to oatmeal as "mush" since my grandma died. I loved hearing it!
I eat a lot of oatmeal and I'm always trying new ways to spice it up. I like cut up apples and pecans in mine but I'm going to try carrots. Nothing touches home cooked oatmeal made with milk. That stuff called "instant oatmeal" is awful.
Keep up the investigative reporting.

supermom said...

That does sound yummy!

Oh and congratulations on starting a new etsy shop... love the vintage stuff you have listed.

And thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment on the quilt I'm working on.

abby jenkins said...

Stay Calm and eat carrot cake oatmeal is what I say! That sounds delicious!

Brad K. said...

Um, I don't keep milk around. My oatmeal is microwaved with water and a tablespoon or so of raisins or dried cranberries. 1/2 c. oats, 1 c. water in a microwaveable bowl, for 90 seconds or so (watch against boil-overs).

I use the regular kind of oatmeal, not eve the quick-cook version. I used to sprinkle a half-spoon of sugar on, but don't bother with that anymore. Plain, I know, but it doesn't lead to all-day snacking as often. That can be a problem for me.

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Your shop looks GREAT! I love the blue dress and old patterns. I'm taking sewing lessons in April! FINALLY!

Maria said...

I'm embarassed to say that I made the "easy" packet stuff this morning - I much prefer old fashioned rolled outs, but time got away from me because I didn't sleep well last night. Your recipe sounds wonderful...Usually my oatmeal has maple syrup (real stuff) and a little bit of brown sugar and that is all it needs. I love the idea with carrots...

Linda said...

I sure it will taste & smell great and I do think others will be sorry they have only instant. What a good idea to bring in your own pre-cooked. I think I'll try this. do you add anything besides the carrots?

DK said...

Oooh, carrots in my oatmeal. I like this idea. I always get the old fashioned rolled style oats, though, since I don't like the texture of the quick and really despise the texture of the instant stuff.