Saturday, February 12, 2011

Repair

This blender cost me one dollar a few years ago and it has paid me back many times over for all the times I've used it. It's one of those 60's era models, hefty and solid, with a good motor. But recently the gasket deteriorated and liquids started leaking badly. I was faced with two options, buy a new model or try to fix this one. Yep, you know what my choice was.









I found an online shop that specializes in parts for vintage appliances and ordered two sets of gaskets, one for now and one for the future. I plan to keep this blender for a long time. Both sets cost just under $14, delivered. The blender was repaired for less than $7, with the other $7 set safely taped inside my main cookbook where I will see it often.

I didn't drive around looking for a replacement, so I saved gas. No raw materials were used to produce a new blender or wasteful packaging (only the gaskets and envelope they were mailed in.) And I still have that classic green model sitting on my kitchen counter. Win, win.

Now, breakfast...... :)




...ahhhhh! :)

2 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

So resourceful! And smart to place the other in the cookbook. You may not always be able to find your keys...but you'll always know where that gasket is! ;)

Impera_Magna said...

I love older appliances and it's great there are places to order replacement parts. Very smart to order an set parts kit "just in case"...