Friday, February 4, 2011

Faces

While on my recent road trip, I stopped at one of my favorite secondhand shops. It's one of the smallest stores I frequent, and I often leave empty-handed. But on this visit I had to stop myself from making a sizeable purchase.

At the front of the dimly lit shop were a few boxes and baskets of very old professional photographs. There were about two to three hundred pictures of folks who had primped and fussed and then sat to have their photos taken. So many faces all dressed up to impress.

I want to share with you some of the beautiful faces that I came across last weekend. At this time I am trying to get them scanned, but here are a few that intrigue me.









I couldn't imagine this young woman's background or the occasion surrounding this photo. She's very dignified and serious. Her photo was taken in Palmyra, NY by "The only photographer in America holding six gold medals awarded in national competition.







This gentleman's eyes are so clear and bright. He appears to be a very happy person. I've been referring to him as "The Captain". I imagine him to have a homestead outside of town or perhaps he owns the general store. He keeps a pleasant demeanor while working steady and for long hours. His picture was taken by a photographer in North Troy, VT, which is in the northeasternmost corner of the state. North Troy can have bitter cold and snowy winters, which makes living off the land difficult. Folks from there are a strong stock.








The details in this photo really caught me. The sailor outfit on the youngest child. Mother and daughter are wearing matching blouses and brooches. The detail at the hem of the daughter's skirt as well as the pleats in that skirt make it very stylish for the era. How carefully combed is the hair on the youngest children, and the part in the son's hair was done with precision. With all their careful planning, I wonder if this portrait was done as a gift for father.


I looked through the photos thoroughly at least twice, and pondered over the ones I had chosen. So many faces, pompadours, grandiose mustaches, toddlers dressed and combed and fussed over. With so many dreams that I could never guess. I could only bring home a few of these treasures.




Many of those other beautiful faces will be posted soon.





9 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

What a find! So intriguing those photographs... thanks for sharing with us. Looking forward to seeing the others that captured your attention...

Mug said...

Oh...the stories you could write, Farmgal! These photos are absolutely wonderful...and in such good condition!

Sandy said...

My favorite is the middle one. Love the slight smile, the twinkle in the eyes and the mustache!

Thanks for sharing!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Neat! How times have changed, huh! The women look strong - don't they?...not just physically.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

True, MyStory, the women have great character. I'm sure they could handle the blizzards that we've been having, and still have time to keep the cookstove going, bake bread, and do the wash by hand ;)

Mary said...

I love these photos. Wouldn't it be fun to step inside them for just a moment?

Thank you for the recent comment on my last blog entry. We have sketchy internet access this month and I am hoping to reconnect with you and others before heading to the Mexican border.

Mug said...

Just checkin' on you, Farmgal...I know there's been LoTs of snowy/icy winter weather up your way...

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks, Mug!
Everything's going well. We actually had a sunny day today :)

Chile said...

I love the old photos, too. People of earlier times did seem to show more character in their posed photos than people do today. Perhaps it is because photos are so commonplace now - so many throwaway pictures.

And I agree that each photo could spawn quite a story!