Saturday, February 19, 2011

Applique quilt progress - 2/18/2011

I have made many quilts over the years, and done hand quilting on consignment for a quilt shop while my children were young. But this is my very first appliqued quilt. It may take longer, but I'm enjoying the process.


This is the beginnings of a floral wreath medallion on this center panel of muslin.








There will be many, many more flowers inserted into the blank spaces as I stitch. All the appliques are cut from vintage aprons that were well worn and loved by women from decades past. (I have yet to find the appropriate yellow-orange apron for the center of the large flowers.) But I am SOOOO pleased with the results of last night's sewing.


I plan to have the center medallion finished before next month's Sew In so that I can start on the corner panels at that time.

Take a quick hop over to Friday Night Sew In for the links to see what others have accomplished! That's where I'm headed now. Thanks for stopping, and have a GREAT weekend!



(Wow! Over 160 people have signed up this month!)

18 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Looking good... cool idea to use vintage aprons... really adds something special...

MyStory of HiStory said...

Wow - you accomplished a lot in one night! It's looking really nice. I haven't done any more work in my quilt - but when I did the appliqueing (spelling?) I really enjoyed it too.

supermom said...

What a great way to repurpose and give new life to the fabric in vintage aprons.

Angie said...

Great job with your FNSI - Your applique looks great! I am also amazed at the number of people that signed up.

Mug said...

Oh, Farmgal, I LoVe it! And using the vintage aprons...looking for certain colors of aprons makes it even more special.....gives your vintage shopping definite purpose, too, (looking for that certain color in a vintage apron instead of just meandering and purchasing on impulse like I tend to do:)
You should definitely be proud of yourself!
I can't wait to see what you accomplish by next month's sew-in. Hmmm...I REALLY need to get my mother-in-law's quilt tops out and finish them...

Cathy said...

Love your Applique. What a clever way to use old aprons. Can't wait to see it when it is done. Thanks for stopping at my blog. Hugs

Tricia said...

This is going to be just beautiful! What a wonderful treasure you will have!!

pinsandneedles said...

Oh my! I have never done an applique quilt before...just a few pieces here and there. Nice work! I love the idea of using vintage aprons.

Brenda said...

Good for you! Vintage aprons, what a great idea.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Thanks to all for stopping by, old friends and new!

manuela said...

Nice work!

Shay said...

I love the idea of using old aprons for the applique. It's a beautiful project and you should be very proud of your FNSI accomplishments.

Thanks for popping in to QIMP.

Cheryll said...

Your applique quilt looks lovely.. especially using old aprons. I also like to applique but not so much the quilting by hand. Good luck with this until next FNSI.

Prim2Pink said...

I haven't tried doing an all applique quilt yet. It's on my 'want to do someday' list.
I'd love to see the progress that you make on this one. It really is pretty so far.
Yhanks for stopping by to visit.
Judy

Rocknquilts said...

Thank you for stopping by - I love your applique! Mary Ann at www.rocknquilts.blogspot.com

Jody Herbert said...

Looks lovely! I do love applique on quilts. See you at the next FNSI!

Maria said...

That is beautiful! I envy your talent and hope someday to learn to quilt. Please keep us posted on your progress.....

Linda said...

This looks like such a fun project. Nothing like turning something old into something new and pretty - and it really is turning out so wonderful. I'll be back to see your progress on it.