Thursday, February 24, 2011

The 4 Bushel Variation of Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I make coffee in bulk, and I often cook a dinner that can be packed into single-serve lunches, so why hadn't it ever occurred to me to make oatmeal in a large batch for quick reheats? (Except, of course, for this wonderful baked oatmeal. Yum!)

To fill in the blanks from yesterday's post, I modified this recipe to make this:

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

2 cups cooked oatmeal (your choice/style)
1 grated carrot
1/2 cup water, and more as needed
1/4 cup raisins
1 teasp cinnamon
1/2 teasp nutmeg
1/2 teasp ginger
1/4 teasp ground cloves
2 Tablesp ground flax seeds


Simmer grated carrot in 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes. Add cooked oatmeal and reheat, adding more water, if necessary.

Add spices and flax seeds. Cook 5 minutes, adding water if needed to reach desired consistency.

Toppings: chopped walnuts, crushed pineapple

Optional: a cream cheese or marscapone "frosting", but I haven't tried that.....yet;) Other folks have made a zucchini bread oatmeal. That sounds good, too.



Looks like I'll be making weekly batches of oatmeal from now on :)





Don't forget to add a comment to Tuesday's post to be entered in my 1970's giveaway! The drawing is on Tuesday, March 1st at 6:00am EST.

3 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

I love oatmeal... and it's great to have new ideas for jazzing it up! Thanks for sharing...

Mug said...

This sounds scrump-dilly-umptious! I am definitely printing this out to put in RECIPES WE LIKE notebook:)

farmlady said...

Thank you for the recipe. I was going to ask you for one.
This sounds so good...