Saturday, January 1, 2011

Review, renew, restart

I took a quick walk down Memory Lane last week. It seems that last year was busier than I had remembered. Along with joining the One Small Change challenge, the Self-Stitched September challenge, and starting to follow the Anyway Project, I finished painting the rooms of my condo, I de-cluttered every nook and cranny, re-styled much of my food choices, made most of my food from scratch (including crackers and granola), frequented the farmers market weekly, crafted holiday gifts, switched from brand name detergents to a borax and washing soda mix, kicked out the TV, read a few good books, found 3 new-to-me bike paths (including one that is fairly close by), paid off a chunk of my car loan, took a few road trips, polished up my canning skills after so many years of neglect, stitched up some quilt tops, and had a fine doctor work on my shoulder. And that’s the short list :)

Funny thing is that I didn’t do a lot that I had planned. But I guess that’s normal. It’s why so many folks neglect their New Year resolutions.

This year I’m not making any resolutions, per say. I’m going to go about life as I normally would, being curious and adventurous, wanting to learn all that I can. And that includes learning how to clean up some of the gunk that builds up inside this computer. It gets a bit sluggish, even with up to date internet security protections. (I readily admit that I surf many a food and/or news blog.) I do have a wonderful relative who gets this laptop spiffy every 12 months or so, and I feel a bit foolish that I haven’t done much more than delete history, cookies, or defrag every now and then. It’s like that clean feeling after a visit to the dentist. It’s so much nicer than what a regular toothbrush and floss can do.

I’ll be keeping up with the folks at One Small Change, and I’m anxious to see what progresses on the Anyway Project. I’m working on a financial “budget”, to see if I can squirrel away a few more pennies. If you’ve been reading here for long, you know that I’ve cut most of my utilities down to the bare bones. It looks like it will be an interesting year.

With my visit on Memory Lane I found that I’m not where I expected to be by now, but I’m not in such a bad place, after all. Quoting Captain Jack Sparrow; “Bring me that horizon…”

5 comments:

Yiota said...

Oh, my! You accomplished so much in 2010! Well done!
Hope you have a fulfilling New Year, too!

Wendy said...

I have been following your blog for a while, and I have to say that I've been nothing but impressed with your progress. I think you're the epitome of "do what you can with what you have where you are."

I'm looking forward to following your adventures in the new year ;). I'm sure it will be a great one for you ;).

farmlady said...

I agree with "I’m going to go about life as I normally would, being curious and adventurous, wanting to learn all that I can." I think this is what life is about.
Happy New Year, my blogging friend.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends!
Thanks for the kind words :)

MyStory of HiStory said...

I can relate to not having done as much as I had planned....but --- I did quite a bit that wasn't planned (& by the looks of it you did too!!) - so I guess that balances it out :)

Happy New Year, Farmgal!