Monday, February 21, 2011

Preserving pieces of the past, crafting a future

That's the "slogan" I've chosen, which you may have already noticed in the addition to my sidebar. This month I have opened my etsy shop. (Trumpets, please ;)

My fascination with the design, color, and lifestyle of previous decades is fairly evident to anyone who reads my posts. I love to learn about history. I delight in holding an item that was useful in another era, whether it be a well-worn darning egg or a garden tool. One of my favorite personal treasures is the trench-art ashtray brought back from Europe after WWII by my military uncle. To hold it is to imagine the determination of the soldiers amidst the conflict.

Throughout my many years of collecting all things vintage, I always consigned them through brick and mortar shops. This worked well at an earlier time in my life, but now I am taking on the responsibility for the promotion and sale of these lovely pieces of the past so that others may also enjoy them. You may find clothing, eye wear, or even a length of feedsack.








Several boxes of older sewing patterns are patiently waiting to find new homes, and new use!





I have also created a section of my shop for my upcycled accessories. You've seen many of the pieces that I have re-styled for myself over the past year. Now I will be offering handmade repurposed items. There will be quite a selection appearing in the next few weeks! The projects in my mind are ready to spring from my sewing machine ;)


As a Thank You to all my longtime blogging friends and a Welcome to all my new friends, I am having 4 giveaways, one in each of the next few weeks that lead up to my 2nd blogiversary. The first will be posted tomorrow and may be of interest to my sewing friends, or anywho who loves the styles from years past ;)


This new adventure is very exciting. I hope to meet many new friends. Stop over and visit while I preserve pieces of the past, and begin to craft a future :)

3 comments:

Mug said...

Beautifully written, Farmgal! As you know, I have already perused your shop and find myself going back to check periodically to see what new items you have added! One never knows what one will find there, that's for sure!:)

She's done a lovely job, folks! I believe her shop will do extremely well, and she will have lots of fun in the process:)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello Mug,
Thank you for your kind words. It's all about having fun, isn't it? As you well know, with your CrEaTiVe and FuN chicks :)

MyStory of HiStory said...

Congratulations on the Grand Opening of your new ETSY store!