Thursday, January 6, 2011

One potato, two potato



It's getting around long passed time to have this laptop cleaned up and have the invisible gunk that's collected inside whisked away. The slow buffering, buffering, .... buffering, and waiting for pages to load aren't fun when you can wash up the dinner dishes faster than the new tabbed page opens. Which prompted me to make tonight's dinner from memory guess, since I couldn't get to the recipe on the internet.

The other day I happened across a recipe on the Project Foodie website for delicious sweet potato oven-baked fries. An excellent happenstance because there were two sweet potatoes in the vegetable bin in the fridge :)




I knew that I was supposed to slice them into small fry-like sticks and toss them with olive oil, but I couldn't remember what seasonings were recommended. I decided to go with freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt, a failsafe combo. But what oven temp? and for how long?




I set it for 400 degrees and turned the fries after 15 minutes, then kept an eye on them until they looked good. Another light sprinkling with salt and they didn't last long!








Only after the dishes were done and the recipe finally appeared on the screen (did you think I was kidding?), did I see that I missed out on an interesting seasoning combination. I do believe I'll be buying more sweets at the grocery store this week to try some new flavor combos ;)


You may have been oven-frying sweets long before me. Sometimes I'm a little behind the times. But if you haven't tried this, I would definitely recommend it.


P.S. Half of today's fries will be packed as a side dish with tomorrow's lunch. Now that's something to look forward to :)

3 comments:

farmlady said...

Oh these sound so good. I've never tried making sweet potato french fries myself. I will try them for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks
Hope you get that laptop moving again. Those kind of things can make you crazy.

Courtney at Scattering Lupines said...

I love the leftovers from a good dinner! These sound delicious... we'll have to try them!

Maria said...

Those look yummy!!!!