Thursday, January 13, 2011

kinda off-grid Tuesday evening

With all the weather commotion, I forgot to let you know how Tuesday night transpired without lights. We all know that manuvering aroung your home in the dark is easy if you're trying not to wake the children (like on Christmas eve) or for a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. So when I arrived home from work on Tuesday I set my things where they belonged, coat and gloves, shoes, purse, lunchbag. Then I set about to get some dinner and settle in for the evening.


I don't want this to turn into a reason NOT to go home after work, so I'll make sure there's a prepared meal waiting for me. This week I had a salad of quinoa and veggies, made the day before. Dinner was enjoyed over candle light, as was dish washing. Then I took a large glass of water to the living room and sat in the recliner with a good book. I was able to read for an hour before my eyes got sleepy.

I did my arm stretches and a little yoga and retired to a very peaceful sleep :)

It was a nice way to spend the evening. I think I'd especially enjoy nights like this towards the latter part of spring when the sun goes down a little later. I'll definitely be trying this again next week.

Note: I've got two hand-crank flashlights (one at home and one in the car), and I'm pretty sure I'll be splurging on a hand-crank radio next. I do listen to the local news/weather/traffic every morning. Buying one would be like buying insurance. It's a good thing to have. Plus, I would be listening to music on these Tuesday evenings.

There are lots of clever folks with great ideas for saving energy and resources over at One Small Change. Take a look and see if there's possibly a change that inspires you, too!


Speaking of change, it's Friday and almost time for the weekend! I hope yours is wonderful :)

No comments: